Project 101010 Day 8 ~ Jean Simrose

Joining me today to tackle "The Balance Question: What does it mean to you and how is it working for you?" is the lovely Jean Simrose.

A little bit about Jean:  "I was born and raised in Canada in a very creative family. We were encouraged to work with our hands and pursue creative hobbies. My sisters and I were taught to sew, knit and crochet at a young age. I liked to design clothes and jewelry to go with them.
 
My careers were varied and diverse. I was a hairdresser. I worked as an administrative assistant for an oil company while my two sons were growing up. After they moved out on their own I went back to university and became a social worker. I worked with people with disabilities and mental illnesses for many years. Art and crafts became therapy and a way to connect with my clients. I facilitated support groups and encouraged my clients’ creativity and skills as well as developing my own.
 
In 2005 I remarried and moved to the Seattle area. I took a Silversmithing course offered at a local college. I made jewelry as gifts for family and friends and as I learned new techniques my inventory increased. I started my blog and an on-line Etsy shop in 2009. Since then I have enjoyed participating in art and craft fairs in the U.S. and Canada. I love connecting with new people and expanding my knowledge of this very diverse craft. I hope people enjoy my jewelry as much as I enjoy making it."
Blog: www.jeansimrose.typepad.com
Etsy shop: www.jeansimrose.etsy.com
So Jean, how do you handle balance? Working at home is difficult for me because it means separating my home from my business. I have trouble avoiding distractions that seem to take priority over my work. I always vow to be more disciplined in my work and to give it my “all” without feeling that I should be doing something else. My plan is to decide what proportions work for me (50% work, 50% home?) and to make up a schedule to follow. My goals in both my home life and my business are to be more productive and get more projects completed.
 
Visit the 101010 Project website to view all the participants and all the questions we'll be covering over the next 15 days, and be sure to hop around to all participants' blogs each day since we are each hosting a different question! 
 

No comments: