Summer is Fleeting


It’s gorgeous here in north Florida in October. Though Summer is my first love, Fall is a close second. A little taste of crisp air after the heat and humidity of August and September is always welcome. This weekend brought us lows in the upper 50’s, highs in the upper 70’s. Just perfect for us Floridians! We’ve finally been able to turn off the a/c and open the windows. I captured this picture in Boca Grande earlier this summer and just stumbled back across it. I chased this lonely beach ball down the beach for nearly 30 minutes shooting away. Coming across it today reminded me of those fleeting days of summers as fall sets in. I came across this beautiful poem searching “summer is fleeting.” It’s credited to britishkid16 on this poetry website.

The greatest days
of my life
were born and dead
with the passing summer.

There was so much I loved
about those long days
in the time when I knew no worry,
and lived with no haste.

Freedom, and love of life were both mine
when the sun conquered the horizon each morning
The clouds had no bravery
to keep them alive in the sky.

I cherished the thunder that rumbled low
after each bright day
the rains came and went
washing away impurities of the past.

I listened to the ocean,
while I pondered the change to come
Soon I would have to leave,
These celestial summer months.

With time, I started once more on my journey,
to seek what other seasons had for me
I was soon cast away into the gloomy autumn,
with summer left to memories.

Ah, to be a poet...not a writing skill I've ever been able to master.  This week I’m getting ready for my first big Fall arts festival, the Glynn Arts Association Arts in the Park in St. Simon’s Island, Georgia. I love St. Simon’s, just over an hour from home, but this will be the first time I’ve participated in this show. In my usual procrastinating fashion, I’ll be up late all this week working on last minute pieces to add to the show. I’ll share a few with you later! Happy Monday!

2 comments:

chrissy said...

kelly...thank you so much for your kind words about my mom. i now have happy visions of "our moms" playing together in heaven and decorating and celebrating for all those around them. i love that thought and think it is most absolutely a very real possibility. especially since they know we are cultivating a beautiful friendship down below them. i love you friend.
happy summers end.
xo

Mail Art Dramas said...

love the pic and words. Fall is in full swing here in PA. Summer forgotten. good luck at the show.
jill