Springtime Tallahassee


Though I didn’t get my fried pickles, I had a great day at the Springtime Tallahassee Arts Jubilee on Saturday. The weather was perfect, if a bit windy in the morning, and the crowds were happy and plentiful. This is always one of my favorite shows of the year, simply because it’s in Tallahassee and I get to catch up with old friends. And my sales are usually great too! I took this shot standing in front of my booth; it’s the top of the courthouse. I just thought it was really pretty through the trees. Tallahassee is such a beautiful city.

I’d have to say a highlight of my day was meeting Jackie. She came into my booth twice before talking with me about my photos. Turns out she’s a designer and thinks some of my pieces would work well for some of her clients. She also gave me some good tips from a designer’s perspective. And to top it all off, we learned we are sorority sisters! She graduated from Florida State as a Chi Omega in 1979. I graduated from Florida State as a Chi Omega in 1988 and then from grad school in 1991. We shared what our days in the Chi O house where like when we were there, including the major sadness that enveloped our house particularly during her time there. She was the president the year Ted Bundy broke into the house, murdered two Chi Omegas and severely injured two more. I was still active in 1989 when Bundy was executed and the news media rehashed the story. I clearly remember sitting in my living room floor in January 1989, watching the news that confirmed Bundy’s execution, tears streaming down my face. Sisterhood bonds you, but sharing that particular history bonds you even more. I very much hope to stay in touch with Jackie.

2 comments:

cath c said...

i'm glad you had such a wonderful time, esp to counter remembering that part of your history that affected so many...

my alma mater was the site of one of the first school shootings the year after i left. my alumni do feel a certain cohesion because of that, esp because of the loss of a favorite professor.

lovely photo!

lori vliegen said...

so glad you had a great weekend in tally.....and such a fabulous photo of the capital building!! here's to fun weekends and meeting new friends! xox, :))