Right Where I Need to Be

Sometimes I think it takes almost walking away from something to realize that what you currently have is truly a pretty good thing. That’s the lesson I learned last week. As I’ve shared with you guys here recently, I’d applied for a new job, still with the College but a little different focus than what I’m doing now. The process took a looooonnnnnnggggg time. However, I’m now done. :-) The results? I was one of two finalists for the position at the campus I was most interested in, but the position went to my competition. This Thursday, I’m scheduled to have my final interview for the position here on my campus. But I won’t be having that interview. Why? Well, since this process has taken so long, it’s given me the opportunity to really think things through, and I realized that I’ve got a darn good gig right where I am. I realized that I was far more attracted to the opportunity to once again work with a former colleague and supervisor than I was to the actual position itself, so I have officially pulled my name out of the hat.

I truly do enjoy my job (College-wide Coordinator of Student Life and Leadership Development for those of you wondering). Sure, there are the occasional rough spots, as all jobs have, but I know that I have a positive impact on the students that I work with, and I know that when they take the time to really listen, I’m teaching them very important life skills, while oftentimes having a darn good time in the process. More importantly, I have a heck of a lot of freedom and flexibility in my current role. That freedom and flexibility gives me the opportunity to do what’s most important when necessary: spend time with my girls. I can go on field trips with them, visit them at school for special programs, take a day off with them when needed without the world coming to an end. Moments after I met with my Campus President to tell her my decision, I felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders. That’s when you know you’ve done the right thing.

All that said, I received another little knock from the universe here recently that also helped steer my path. Stay tuned. I’ll tell you what that was a little later this week. So, give it some thought. Maybe you are right where you need to be at this moment too.

3 comments:

lori vliegen said...

so true, kelly!! i'm so glad that your heart was speaking to you loudly.....and you go girl for having the courage to listen!! i'll bet your students will be happy to know that you'll be staying, too!! :))

Martha Lever said...

Hi Kelly,
Isn't it great when things work out right!! AND I am loving your pieces from Carmen's class!! They are stunning. I love that building one. I think it is done---finished-- and ready for the Etsy shop!! I would love to hear more about her class. I thought about taking it but I am doing another class now. Can't do two at once!

julie king said...

good for you, kelly! i agree -- things usually work out the way they should if given enough time to reflect, etc. i'd say you definitely have your priorities straight -- spending time with your girls!!