Tweeting Here and There...

I’m not thinking very clearly today. I finally gave in and started taking the new prescription my dizzy doc wanted me to try since she searched out an older generic version. With quite a bit of trepidation, I took my first one last night and within an hour, I felt a bit like a bobble-head doll. DH said I didn’t look like a bobble-head doll, and then said “Here, how many fingers am I holding up?” to which I responded, “Well first, you must move your hand farther away from my 43-year-old eyes….okay, three.” Nope, it was only one. I decided to go to bed at that point.

So back to today. I told my assistant when I came in this morning (about 45 minutes late since I had a heck of a time getting out of bed) that I started taking these new little pink pills so if she happened to walk back to my office and find me asleep on my desk, just make sure I’m still breathing, turn off the light and shut the door. Through a constant infusion of Diet Coke, I’ve managed to stay awake but can’t really concentrate on much (like that end of the academic year college-wide service learning and learning communities report I need to write), so what did I do? In my drug induced stupor, I joined Twitter! Sounded like a great idea for my even more shortened-attention-spanned self, right?!

I’ve been fighting jumping on the Twitter bandwagon for a while, figuring I didn’t need yet one more thing to keep up with. I recently took a free five-day online marketing course from Etsy guru Tim Adam, and the first day’s assignment was to (1) start a blog, (2) open a Facebook account, and (3) open a Twitter account. Since I already had two of the three done, I figured I was doing pretty well. The next three days’ lessons concentrated on each of those venues and how they can help you promote your art online. After Tim received much feedback on how much time the above three can suck out of your life, the fifth day’s lesson was changed from Google Analytics to Time Management. He has some great suggestions, and he’s been a very charitable mentor to many a struggling Etsy seller through the forums and through his Handmadeology site. He’s done very well with his own Etsy business, going from working two jobs and selling his art in galleries and fairs to dumping his day job and concentrating on his art full-time. Kudos to Tim.

However, what he doesn’t have, my dear friends, is children, and that is key! At the close of his five-day course, he asked for feedback on what else he could have included, and that was the point I mentioned to him. There is simply not enough time in the day for one woman to successfully work a full-time “day job”, parent small children AND spend all that time marketing herself on her blog, Facebook and Twitter. I’d be glued to the computer all day! Then, of course, there’s the actual creative time that must be taken to actually create the art that you are trying to market. And yes, I know, I know….you make time for what’s important…I’ve heard that many times. But there is wanting to make time for what’s important and then there’s the reality of life with small children (and the fact that I do actually need sleep).

This got me thinking more about my mission for my art, in whatever form it may take. I talked about this some at the end of this blog post. While I’d love to have more time to work on my art, I’m not willing to quit my day job (nor can we afford to financially even if I were willing). For the most part, I like my day job. I’ve built a great career at the college and I know that I’ve been a great positive influence on hundreds of students who’ve walked through my office door. Yet I still have that huge drive to create. And to get my creations out there to others. Is my art my “life’s work”? I know that I wouldn’t feel complete without it, but I also know it will probably never be my sole income…and I think I’ve finally come to the conclusion that that's just fine. I can create for me and if things sell, great; if they don't, no biggee...I'll find some place for them. Maybe that’s my subconscious telling me that my family needs health insurance, I need to build up my girls’ college fund, I need to have at least a little bit of stability in my life…who knows. Maybe I’m just not thinking clearly in my klonopin- and celexa-filled brain right now! :-) (And don’t even get me started on the topic of why I’m taking anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications for a balance disorder, as I haven’t figured that one out myself...I just listen to the good docs at my Mayo-clinic affiliated doctor’s office [and do my own research], but I digress). So I’ll Tweet here and there, and maybe I’ll develop a little Twitter following (with my humor and wit, how could they possibly resist, right?), and we’ll see what happens. If you are on Twitter, come join me here. We can juggle our crazy lives together! Oh, and in case you were wondering, the picture with this post is some of my photo boxes all stained and polyurethaned, ready to have a photo mounted on them; one of these days I’ll figure out how to caption my pictures...

8 comments:

e.beck.artist said...

you'll know soon enough if a blog, creative construction, face book AND twitter are all viable for you .... might as well try, huh? no one says you have to stick with the all .... trying is always a good choice ....

Unknown said...

hun, I enjoyed reading your post.
tell your hubby to pay close attention to you while on Klonopin. Yes, I have been on every med out there to help with my fibro, seizures and ... and... (I am not gonna bore you with that) and klonopin was not a very nice experience. Just tell him to keep an eye on you.
Hope you get your health issues resolved. and time management? what is that? LOL

lori vliegen said...

hi kelly! i hope you and your new meds learn to like each other...and most of all, i hope that your dizzy spells go away, pronto! i'm still resisting the twitter thing...i spend too much time on the computer as it is. and...my kids are no longer in the nest, and i still can't seem to find time for it all!

p.s. we'll have to plan a lunch soon with cristi, martha, you and me! fun, fun!! :)

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Hey Kelly! I can SO relate to this post!!! The whole question of wondering if your creative endeavors are to be your life's work is something I think about alot. Great post, thanks!

cath c said...

oh my dear kelly, i hope that dizzy thing goes away for you, preferably without so much medication! listen to your friend above re: having dh watch you closely...

kelly, in the approximate year that i've 'known' you, you have amazed me with what you juggle. i am not even close to what you do. i honestly can't fathom the math that works sleep into your schedule. I will tell you there was a time in my live where necessity had me spinning my gears willy-nilly, and i made it work somehow, but i'm just not there anymore, and much more relaxed because of it. i learned to find ways to let go of what could be let go. I'm sure if you have a moment to mull the thought, you'll find what you can let go of,too.


not that that seems your inclination or nature! i wish i had your go-go-go!

Campbell Jane said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. Being dizzy I can only imagine is awful. My husband had that & after a year they found that his thyroid was out of whack. Anyway! I look forward to your Tweets. I spend more time on the computer than I do painting these days.
Blessings
Campbelljane

Fannie said...

hi, kelly. do you tweet? I am new to twitter and still learning. would like to follow you.

Jennifer Williams said...

I love those link within things at the bottom of blogs. You posted this long before I started to follow you. I can relate to this post so well except I'm sans children.

Anyway...I noticed you still don't caption your pictures. Thought you might like this bit of code. I've used it off and on for a while now.

Hmmm...it won't let me paste it. I'll shoot you an email.