Fat Book Entry #5: Independent!

Here’s entry #5 for my Fat Book swap. Since I’m so new to all this stuff, I’m really learning a lot about my “style”. And vintage, it’s not! I’m so drawn to color that when I do stuff that’s not very bright and colorful, I feel like a fish out of water. The topic for this one was “independent”. As you can see, I chose Amelia Earhart. I stuck with the faux postage idea for this one. I covered each piece (remember, I have to do 10 originals of each entry!) with pages of a 1980 atlas, and then added the stamp I created and the embellishments. I think what I do like most about the piece are the quote and the picture. That quote really makes you think, doesn’t it? And she seems happy and ready to tackle the world in this photo.

I enjoyed reading more about Amelia on Wikipedia again. She's such an interesting figure in history. Years ago, I read a fiction work based around Amelia, and I still have it. It’s called “I Was Amelia Earhart”, and it was written by Jane Mendelsohn in 1996. There’s a short excerpt on the back cover that sums up the book: “This is the story of what happened to me when I died. It’s also the story of my life. Destiny, the alchemy of fate and luck. I think about it sometimes, under a radiant sun… Today when I think of my former life, I think of it as a dream. In the dream I am another person. In the dream I am the most famous aviatrix of my day, a heroine. I am Amelia Earhart.” I think I’m going to have to reread it now! Stay tuned for entry #6, Cowgirls. I had a lot of fun with that one! See the rest of my entries so far in the Challenges and Swaps category over there in the right column.

Like this post? Click here to sign up for free weekly email reminders. Click here for the Happy Shack Designs website!

No comments: